Here’s a satisfying, savory side dish for any holiday menu that’s sure to please everyone at the table.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes (+ 20 minutes standing time)
- Serves: 8
- Skill level: Beginner
- Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Vegan, Gluten-Free
- 2 lb sweet potatoes (about 3 to 4 medium)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, very thinly sliced
- 3 cups Ripple Half & Half Original
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 cups shredded vegan Swiss cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Peel sweet potatoes and slice into 1/8-inch rounds; set aside in water to prevent oxidization.
- Heat oil in sauté pan set over medium heat; sauté onion for about 3 minutes or until slightly softened.
- In saucepan set over medium heat, combine Ripple Half & Half Original, sautéed onion, bay leaves, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, nutmeg, paprika and cayenne; cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until bubbling. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes; discard bay leaves.
- Arrange one-third of the sweet potatoes in greased 13- x 9-inch casserole dish. Spoon one-third of the Ripple Half & Half Original mixture over top and sprinkle with one-third of the shredded cheese. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover with foil; bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove foil and sprinkle pecans over top. Bake for about 15 minutes or until pecans are toasted and most of the liquid is absorbed. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with parsley and chives.
– Make this dish nut-free by omitting the pecans and substituting pumpkin seeds.
– Casserole can be baked up to 6 hours in advance and reheated before serving.