This delicious take on classic cream soup is dairy-free. Garnish with a few croutons if desired.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Serves: 6
- Skill level: Beginner
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch leeks, chopped (white and light green parts only)
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 3/4 tsp each salt and pepper, divided
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 lb yellow-fleshed potatoes, chopped
- 1 cup Ripple Half & Half Original
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
- Heat oil in large saucepan set over medium heat; cook leeks, carrot, garlic, thyme sprigs, and half each of the salt and pepper for about 5 minutes or until leeks are softened. Stir in broth and potatoes; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes or until potatoes are very tender and breaking apart. Remove thyme sprigs and discard.
- Transfer half of the soup to blender; pulse until smooth and return to saucepan (use a tea towel to cover top and sides of lid; to remove steam build-up, lift lid with tea towel before pulsing). Repeat with remaining soup; return to saucepan.
- Add Ripple Half & Half Original, lemon juice, mustard and remaining salt and pepper to saucepan; bring to simmer. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with chives before serving. Serve hot or cold.
– Alternatively, use a hand blender to purée the soup, pulsing to desired consistency.
– Yukon Gold potatoes are a good choice for this soup.